Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, April 13, 2011

Teardrop Cocktail Lounge - Portland - Oregon

15 Teardrop Cocktail Lounge - Portland - Oregon 1

After the first set of drinks at Clyde Common - Portland - Oregon, Gourmet Pigs and I took Wandering Chopsticks reader Dylan's suggestion and hit up Teardrop Cocktail Lounge for its old-fashioned cocktails and homemade bitters and tinctures.

The bar was pretty small, with some stools at the counter and along the wall. So we sat at the bar, overlooking the array of Teardrop Cocktail Lounge's homemade bitters and tinctures.

15 Teardrop Cocktail Lounge - Portland - Oregon 2

I love the descriptions and names of their cocktails. Naive Melody, Clear Creek pear brandy, Lustau East India sherry, lemon, apricot liqueur, Oregon wildflower honey, egg white, and bitters, $9. The beaten egg white is what gives the cocktail the foamy head. Such artful presentation. This tasted so good, and if I wasn't driving, I would have loved to have more than a sip.

15 Teardrop Cocktail Lounge - Portland - Oregon 3

Dylan recommended the Babaloo, Batavia Arrack, Smith & Cross rum, lime, Forbidden black rice horchata, and Boston bitters, $10. What makes black rice horchata forbidden? Unfortunately, we didn't find out because Teardrop makes its own horchata and it was all gone that day. Gourmet Pigs really wanted to try it too since Batavia Arrack is the "rum" of Indonesia, distilled from sugarcane and fermented with red rice. I know! Sounds even more intriguing now.

I also really wanted to try Last Gloaming (love the name!), Germain-Robin Fine Alambic brandy, Pineau de Charentes blanc, Yellow Chartreuse, Elisir M.P. Roux, and Peychaud's bitters, $10. I don't even know what any of those ingredients are, but it sure sounds good. Too bad I had to cut myself off.

Dylan ordered Unfinished Business, Martin Miller's Westbourne Strength gin, Cocchi Americano, Bonal gentian aperitif, Ricky's bitters, agave nectar, and absinthe, $10. I was too slow on the draw with my camera and missed the bartender pouring the absinthe over a spoon with a sugar cube on top. It was really cool.

15 Teardrop Cocktail Lounge - Portland - Oregon 4

I liked the old-fashioned glass.

15 Teardrop Cocktail Lounge - Portland - Oregon 5

By this point, further discussion of where to go for dinner ensued. We ended up heading across the river for one last round of cocktails at The Secret Society while we waited for a spot to open at Toro Bravo for Spanish tapas dinner.

15 Teardrop Cocktail Lounge - Portland - Oregon 6

When I get a chance, I definitely want to head back to Teardrop to try the cocktails I missed.

All Oregon posts can be found with the tag Series: Oregon, but I suggest reading this particular trip in this order:
I'm Coming Home
Bunk Sandwiches - Portland - Oregon
Horsetail Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Multnomah Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Wahkeena Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Bridal Veil Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Shepperd's Dell Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Latourell Falls (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Crown Point Vista House (Winter) - Columbia River Gorge - Oregon
Stinging Nettle Soup
Stinging Nettle Tea
Nai Xao Xa Cuon Banh Trang (Vietnamese Sauteed Lemongrass Venison Rice Paper Rolls)
Thirsty Lion Pub and Grill - Tigard - Oregon
Reuben Sandwich
Argyle Winery - Dundee - Oregon
Hawks View Cellars - Sherwood - Oregon
Clyde Common - Portland - Oregon
Teardrop Cocktail Lounge - Portland - Oregon

Teardrop Cocktail Lounge
1015 NW Everett St.
Portland, OR 97209
503-445-8109
Monday to Thursday 4 p.m. to 12:30 a.m.
Friday and Saturday 4 p.m. to 2 a.m.
Happy Hours Monday to Friday 4 p.m. to 7 p.m.

*****
1 year ago today, Tibet Nepal House - Pasadena (Old Town).
2 years ago today, Heirloom rose.
3 years ago today, peanut butter and white chocolate drizzlecorn.
4 years ago today, my second-youngest uncle's wife's bun rieu (Vietnamese shrimp and crab noodle soup), packed to go.

4 comments:

  1. Love the names of the drinks here! Very cool place. That first drink looked so pretty. I never would think of putting beaten egg white on a cocktail.

    ReplyDelete
  2. CC,
    Don't you just love the descriptions? Makes me want to try every drink! There was so much attention paid to those details that I really liked this place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wow, I am impressed--and I have Pineau de Charentes on my liquor shelf; it is a French aperitif that tastes very nice by itself. Americans really are kings of cocktail mixology, so cool that there were all those homemade tinctures. We have nice bars here in Amsterdam, even a few good cocktail bars, but I keep hoping it will become a raging trend...because a well-made cocktail is such a treat!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tammy,
    I'm not sophisticated enough to know what that even was! I love cocktails but really can't afford to indulge.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!