Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, October 03, 2010

Capital Dim Sum & BBQ - Monterey Park

Capital Dim Sum & BBQ - Monterey Park 1


Tired of the lackluster roast pork and roast duck at Sam Woo BBQ - Alhambra and looking for alternatives, I checked out Capital Dim Sum & BBQ in Monterey Park last summer.

Capital Dim Sum & BBQ, serves the same dim sum as Capital Seafood Chinese Restaurant, but is a separate take-out shop next to Wing Hop Fung.

The roast pork, $8.10 per pound, had crispy skin and juicy meat. During a recent craving, the roast pork here totally hit the spot. I ordered 1/4 pound from Sam Woo later and it was sad in comparison. I swear, it seems like Sam Woo removes the crispy skin from my order because I barely had any.


Capital Dim Sum & BBQ - Monterey Park 2


The Char Siu/Xa Xiu (Chinese/Vietnamese Barbecued Pork), $6.75 per pound, is nice and juicy too.


Capital Dim Sum & BBQ - Monterey Park 3


This barbecue shop also has char siu ribs, which I don't find too often.


Capital Dim Sum & BBQ - Monterey Park 4


The roast duck is $8.95 for half, or $16.50 for a whole. Slightly sweet, honey glaze. Moist and delicious.


Capital Dim Sum & BBQ - Monterey Park 5


The dim sum items are limited to the basics but ranging from $1.90 to $2.80, there's not room for complaint. The barbecued pork buns, chicken feet, and steamed spare ribs were all $1.90 each. The chicken feet had black bean sauce and boiled peanuts on the bottom. The spare ribs had steamed pumpkin pieces. For $1.90! The shrimp har gow were $2.80.


Capital Dim Sum & BBQ - Monterey Park 6


Shrimp rice noodle, $2.80; taro dumplings, $2.80; egg tarts, $1.90; and bean curd roll with mushroom, $2.80.


Capital Dim Sum & BBQ - Monterey Park 7


After 3 p.m., whatever dim sum items that are left are discounted. Sometimes when I'm just picking up some roast pork, I'll get a barbecued pork bun or two for 50 cents each.


Capital Dim Sum & BBQ - Monterey Park 8


Sesame balls for dessert, $1.90.


Capital Dim Sum & BBQ - Monterey Park 9


I go here when I get a craving for just a few dim sum items, without wanting to go through the whole bother of dining out. Or for crispy and juicy roast pork and roast duck.

Other BBQ to-go places:
Sam Woo BBQ - Alhambra
Seaworld Seafood Restaurant BBQ & Dim Sum To Go - Rosemead
Yum Cha Cafe - San Gabriel

Capital Dim Sum & BBQ
727 W. Garvey Ave.
Monterey Park, CA 91754-2707
626-289-6338

*****
1 year ago today, Pine Country Restaurant - Williams - Arizona.
2 years ago today, frozen yogurt at Silver Spoon - Alhambra.
3 years ago today, Kefta Kebabs (Middle Eastern Ground Meat Kebabs).

4 comments:

  1. I've passed by here on my LA food trips, but i didn't know that they had such bbq. The pork skin looks so yummy. I'm definitely going to have to get some bbq next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kirbie,
    It's definitely been better than Sam Woo for me. Especially the roast duck.

    ReplyDelete
  3. If I ever get to be around that part of the country, you better bet I'm going to hit up your blog and hunt these places down.

    I miss dim sum. :( I'm going to Google dim sum and Oklahoma now.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kitty,
    Hehe. Read my Dragon Phoenix Palace post for my dim sum and Oklahoma story. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!