Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, August 20, 2010

Pork Ribs with Korean Gochujang and Indonesian Kecap Manis

Korean Gochujang and Indonesian Kecap Manis Pork Ribs 1

This is my newest rib recipe. Well, not in terms of being posted, because it always takes me forever to get around to anything, but newest in creating the recipe. I made these ribs in April and even got around to blogging it before the year is up! What is the world coming to?

And can I say, these are the best photos yet? My ribs are almost always succulent and fall-off-the-bone tender, but these photos really, really show it.

Again, I was going with quick and simple. Ever since I started experimenting with Indonesian kecap manis in the kitchen, it has been my go-to sauce for instant color and to add a slight sweetness to meats. I like Korean gochujang chili paste for its slight sweetness and slight spiciness. Combine the two, with salt for seasoning, and the result were ribs with a light sticky glaze, a little bit sweet, a little bit spicy.

Korean Gochujang and Indonesian Kecap Manis Pork Ribs 2

Korean Gochujang and Indonesian Kecap Manis Pork Ribs

For 2 lbs of pork ribs, you'll need:
2 lbs of pork ribs :)
2 tsp salt
2 tblsp Indonesian kecap manis
2 tblsp Korean gochujang chili paste, adjust according to your spicy tolerance

Wash the ribs.

Mix all the ingredients together until a paste is formed.

Then rub the mixture all over the ribs, about two-thirds on the meaty side.

Bake at 325 degrees for 45 minutes, meaty side down.

Then flip the ribs and bake for another 20 minutes. Broil for about 5 minutes at the end if you'd like the meat to have a slight char.

Remove the ribs from the oven and let rest for about 15 minutes to let the juices redistribute.

Korean Gochujang and Indonesian Kecap Manis Pork Ribs 3

Fall-apart tender ribs that you won't be able to stop eating.

Korean Gochujang and Indonesian Kecap Manis Pork Ribs 4

Enjoy!

Some of my other rib recipes:
Char Siu/Xa Xiu (Chinese/Vietnamese Barbecued Pork)
Chinese Coca Cola and Soy Sauce Spare Ribs
Chinese Five-Spice and Honey Ribs
Kalbi (Korean Ribs)
Pork Ribs with Coca Cola and Strawberry Jam

*****
1 year ago today, Chao Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Rice Porridge).
2 years ago today, part two of my "How to Start a Food Blog" series -- On Blogging and Food Blogging.
3 years ago today, Che Bap (Vietnamese Corn Pudding with Tapioca Pearls and Coconut Milk).

10 comments:

  1. These ribs look really succulent and delicious! My hubbs loves fall off the bone juicy ribs! Hmmmm.....wonder what we'll have for dinner tonight?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I am so glad you posted this. I want to try the sauce combo ASAP. The photos are spectacular. Have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  3. *drools* it's so early in the morning to crave ribs now! I haven't even eaten breakfast yet... :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those two ingredients are my fave, gochujang and kecap manis. Btw, I used bango brand which only can be found at certain Asian grocers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Kecap manis is soooo good. When I have more time I'm gonna comb through all your recipes and eat like a king.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kecap Manis is the wonder sauce! It's an instant baste and caramelizer. I mix it up with pepper, and lime juice, spread it on lamb satay about halfway through cooking over coals...okay, I just salivated all over my keyword.

    ReplyDelete
  7. this looks like its pretty easy to make, must go try this out!

    ReplyDelete
  8. hi wc - yay, another rib recipe to try out this weekend! i just need to get some kecap manis. the coca cola/strawberry jam ribs were a hit last week.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bought some kecap on your recommendation a while ago, and it is really nice. I use it in marinades instead of soy sauce now. These ribs sound delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. PlumLeaf,
    They were. You should totally make them!

    Mary,
    It was totally a lazy recipe that worked out really well.

    Diana,
    I was sooo craving ribs when I sorted through the photos for this post.

    Pepy,
    Thanks for the suggestion. I used ABC because that's what Mochachocolata Rita uses, but I'll look for Bango for comparison.

    Andi?,
    Not a queen? :P

    Elmo,
    I remember you giving me that recipe on another old post. I looove kecap manis. It's so versatile.

    Joe,
    That's how I came up with this. Too lazy to do much and I was huuungry.

    CC,
    I think this and the Coke/strawberry ribs would be nice and different.

    Jonathan,
    Nice to know others are paying attention to what I suggest. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!