Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, July 01, 2009

Oriental Food Value Supermarket - Portland - Oregon

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 1

On my last night in town, my mom asked me to pick up some cilantro and bean sprouts because she was making Bun Bo Hue (Vietnamese Hue-Style Beef Noodle Soup) for dinner.

For quick Asian grocery store trips, I go to Oriental Food Value. It's owned by a Chinese husband and Korean wife, so there are Chinese and Korean groceries, as well as Vietnamese. But located just off SE 82nd Avenue and Foster Road, in a heavily Russian area, there are Russian and Polish groceries as well. Kinda cool, eh?

(I won't even go into how much I hate the word Oriental and how behind the times it seems that it's still used in Portland. See the last few paragraphs of this post for the more detailed explanation about why the word Oriental is offensive.)

Look! There's even an aisle dedicated to Russian food.

We'll get to the roast pork booth at the end of the aisle in a bit.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 2

Beets? I can't read Russian.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 3

And Polish salad from the looks of it?

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 4

Pretty sad roast pork area. I think they probably get it from somewhere else because I've never seen a whole roast pig. So they just have a bit on hand for the random customer.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 5

Along with a few random sandwiches and pastries.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 6

The fresh produce area looks small, but is actually pretty well-stocked.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 7

Various herbs.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 8

Galangal and banana blossoms.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 9

Thai eggplants.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 10

Even fresh lotus leaves. I don't even see that in SoCal!

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 11

Wandering more aisles just so you can see.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 12

Drinks.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 13

Rice cakes and noodles.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 14

Ramen.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 15

Rice. And a lot of pottery behind it.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 16

Woks. Lots of woks. Even a 28-inch wok!

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 17

Lots more dishes, in case you need props.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 18

Thai Kiwi-brand knives. Very sharp. Cheap too!

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 19

And joss paper to burn at death anniversaries.

15 Oriental Food Value - Portland 20

Off to dinner! Mom's Bun Bo Hue (Vietnamese Hue-Style Beef Noodle Soup) was waiting for me!

All Oregon posts can be found with the tag Series: Oregon, but I suggest reading this particular trip in this order:
PDX and My Parents' Chihuahuas
Salvador Molly's - Portland - Oregon
Why My Mom's Banh Canh Cua (Vietnamese Thick Noodle Soup with Crab) Is Better Than Your Momma's
Ha & VL - Portland - Oregon
Karma Cafe - Portland - Oregon
Oc Xao Nam He (Vietnamese Clams Sauteed with Mushrooms and Chives)
Beverly Cleary Sculpture Garden - Grant Park - Portland - Oregon
Pok Pok - Portland - Oregon
Portland Farmers Market at PSU - Portland - Oregon
Downtown Portland - Oregon Redux
Mill Ends Park (Smallest Park in the World) - Portland - Oregon
Tabor - Portland - Oregon
Kenny & Zuke's Delicatessen - Portland - Oregon 
Mom's Chao Vit (Vietnamese Rice Porridge with Duck)
Oriental Food Value - Portland
Mom's Bun Bo Hue (Vietnamese Hue-Style Beef Noodle Soup)

Oriental Food Value
8303 SE Insley St.
Portland, OR 97266
503-775-8683

*****
1 year ago today, Singlong black pepper sauce for crabs.
2 years ago today, I went skydiving over Las Vegas!

6 comments:

  1. I'll have to check this place out. I recently stumbled upon a Vietnamese grocery at 99th and Prescott that's become my new favorite. It's not as big as OFV or Fubonn, but it's less hectic and their produce section is also well stocked.

    BTW, my mom still uses the word Oriental. I've told her over and over again to use Asian, but it's no use!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Darlene,
    The older generation doesn't get it. For most groceries, I think Fubonn has a better selection, but I like to support the smaller stores too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The Chinese husband actually roasts his own pigs...and it's DELICIOUS!!!

    They also do old school "carry outs" to help them older Asian people :]

    i like it better than FUBONN!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Andrew,
    I did not know that. Figured he just got the roast pig from somewhere else. Aww, that's nice that they help carry out stuff for the older folks. I think it's little touches like that that makes me support the little businesses.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice article. Great pictures and very detailed. I like it :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!