Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, July 18, 2009

Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland

3 Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland 1


After breakfast at Pho Ga Huong Que Cafe - Oakland, lil' sis, the middle '87, and I, decided to grab dessert before heading into the city for the day.

Where else, especially after I just saw "Up," but Fentons Creamery & Restaurant?

The red awning, minus the white stripes, is more similar to what was shown in the movie. (The other "Up" reference is the hamburger-shaped cake pin that Russell wore, that was inspired by the original at Merritt Bakery and Restaurant - Oakland.)


3 Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland 2


It was very crowded so we had a bit of a wait before a table was ready.

Check out the bubble gum ice cream in the case. When I was in fourth grade, my teacher took several of the students, who were particularly good that month, out for ice cream. I chose bubble gum because I was thrifty. I figured after I finished eating the ice cream part, I'd have gum to chew. I never saw another ice cream parlor have bubble gum ice cream with bubble gum pieces until now.


3 Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland 3


So quaint. I could totally see why the Pixar employees love Fentons.


3 Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland 4


I wandered around a bit while waiting for our order. To the left was a big window where you could see them churn fresh ice cream, but they weren't making any while I was there.


3 Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland 5


The banana special was touted as a Fentons tradition on the menu so of course we had to try it.


3 Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland 6


Banana special, banana split with chocolate, vanilla, and strawberry ice cream with pineapples, strawberries, and chocolate fudge and almonds, whipped cream, and a cherry on top, $9.95.


3 Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland 7


And no, the three of us could not finish it all.


3 Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland 8


I rarely order ice cream monstrosities such as this because it was simply too much. But wow, look at the pictures.


3 Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland 9


To offset all the sugar, we also ordered sassy sliders, three fresh ground Niman Ranch beef sliders with American cheese, lettuce, tomato, and dill pickle served with seasoned curly fries, $9.95. One little slider for each of us was perfect to balance out the banana split.


3 Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland 10


I also ordered a chocolate mint malt, $5.50. Ice cream overkill! But oh so yummy. The tall glass was full and the metal cup still had a lot of ice cream left.


3 Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland 11


Groaning with sugar overload, we made our way out of Fentons, ready to explore the city.

All Northern California posts can be found with the tag, Series: NorCal, but I suggest reading this particular trip in this order:
Persian Dill Rice
Chai Thai Noodles - Oakland
Pho Ga Huong Que Cafe - Oakland
Fentons Creamery & Restaurant - Oakland
Chinatown - San Francisco
Eastern Bakery - San Francisco (Chinatown)
House of Nanking - San Francisco (Financial District)
Banana Leaf Restaurant - Milpitas
Jovino - San Francisco (Marina/Cow Hollow (Closed)
Miette Patisserie (Ferry Building) - San Francisco (Embarcadero) 
Butterfly Restaurant (Pier 33) - San Francisco (Embarcadero)
Imperial Tea Court (Ferry Building) - San Francisco (Embarcadero)
Sura Korean Cuisine - Oakland
Centennial Light (World's Longest Lasting Light Bulb) - Livermore-Pleasanton Fire Department Station 6 - Livermore
Harris Ranch Inn & Restaurant - Coalinga
Chao Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Rice Porridge)
Chinese Scallion Cilantro Dipping Sauce

Fentons Creamery & Restaurant
4226 Piedmont Ave.
Oakland, CA 94611
510-658-7000
Monday to Thursday 11 a.m. to 11 p.m.
Friday and Saturday 9 a.m. to midnight
Sunday 9 a.m. to 11 p.m.

*****
1 year ago today, Watermelon, Feta, and Basil Salad.
2 years ago today, Manna Korean BBQ - Los Angeles (Koreatown).

6 comments:

  1. I have fond memories of late night runs to Fentons in college. I usually had the black & tan sundae. I haven't seen Up yet, so I didn't know there was a reference to Fentons.

    Baskin Robins used to have a bubble gum ice cream, but maybe that was ages ago.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That banana sundae looks so yummy! Hopefully I'll remember to stop by here the next time I'm up north.

    ReplyDelete
  3. aw, i wished i had known about this place. i'll have to go next time we go up to the bay area. tc liked seeing the exterior photo (i still haven't seen that movie yet) and also spotted the stuffed animal (the dog)in the 4th pic. your photos of the sunday are absolutely fab!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Awh cool! I used to go to Fenton's growing up. I'd get a milkshake then a serious stomach ache (since I never really consumed that much dairy as a kid). So good!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Sandy,
    At the end of the movie, they sit in front of Fentons eating ice cream.

    Diana,
    It was OK. I like one scoop of ice cream. Extra is just overkill. :P

    CC,
    Just add it to the list of everything else you want to try. :) But you really should see "Up" first because it'll make you appreciate the visit more.

    Kitty,
    All those calories are evil!

    Anna,
    How did you grow so tall if you didn't drink milk?! :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!