Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, May 01, 2009

Lumpiang Prito (Filipino Fried Spring/Egg Rolls)

Lumpiang Prito (Filipino Fried Egg Spring Rolls) 1


When Marija of Palachinka, host of the beef round-up of Weekend Wokking, declared SPROUTS as the secret ingredient for this month's challenge, I wanted to do more than my usual preparation -- a simple stir-fry or tossing them into a bowl of soup.

I had been craving Cha Gio (Vietnamese Egg Rolls) for a while and figured it was a good a time as any to do a slight variation by making lumpiang prito (Filipino fried egg rolls). Of course, I turned to Marvin of Burnt Lumpia to get the basics. The Wikipedia lumpia entry was pretty useful for explaining all the different kinds of lumpia.

Every recipe that I could find online required the filling to be pre-cooked before being rolled and then fried. Too many steps for me. All the chopping and slicing was already pretty laborious. I decided to use the basic lumpiang prito filling, but rolled them up raw like Vietnamese egg rolls. The filling will cook when I fry the egg rolls in hot oil anyway. Plus, this way, the filling binds together better and won't fall out when I dip it. Since there weren't any noodles in the filling to help with binding, slice the green beans French cut-style. The grated carrot and potato helps with that too.


Lumpiang Prito (Filipino Fried Egg Spring Rolls) 2


Lumpiang Prito (Filipino Fried Egg Rolls)
Adapted from Marvin of Burnt Lumpia

For about 3 dozen egg rolls, you'll need:
1 lb of ground meat (I used half beef and half pork, but prefer half pork and half turkey.)
1 small onion, grated or finely diced
1 large carrot (About 1 cup), grated
1 medium potato (About 1 cup), grated
1 cup bean sprouts
1 cup green beans, French-cut
1 egg
1 tsp salt
1 package egg roll wrappers

For the dipping sauce, you'll need:
1 clove garlic, minced
2 tblsp soy sauce
2 tblsp vinegar

Slice the green beans French cut-style, as thin as possible and at an angle. Grate 1 large carrot, 1 medium potato, and 1 small onion. Grate the potato last because it'll turn brown pretty quickly and you want to minimize that as much as possible. Add the green beans, carrot, potato, onion, and bean sprouts to 1 lb of ground meat.

Alternatively, you can stir-fry the vegetable ingredients first, squeeze out excess moisture, and then add them to the raw ground meat. I prefer keeping the meat raw to help bind the ingredients together. Add 1 tsp salt and 1 egg and mix thoroughly.


Lumpiang Prito (Filipino Fried Egg Spring Rolls) 3


For folding and frying tips, please check my Vietnamese egg roll recipe.

Fry at medium-high heat until golden brown.

You can freeze any extra filling, or do what I did -- stir-fry it with some noodles.

I served these with a dipping sauce of minced garlic and equal parts vinegar and soy sauce.


Lumpiang Prito (Filipino Fried Egg Spring Rolls) 4


Enjoy!

I'm submitting this recipe to Weekend Wokking, a world-wide food blogging event created by Wandering Chopsticks to celebrate the multiple ways we can cook one ingredient. This month's secret ingredient is SPROUTS. The host for May is Christine of Kits Chow. Check the sprouts round-up for 9 recipes.

If you'd like to participate or to see the secret ingredient, check who's hosting next month. If you've participated in the past and would like to host, please email me.

My other sprouts recipes:
Banh Xeo-ish Pajeon? Or Pajeon-ish Banh Xeo? (Vietnamese Savory Crepe-ish Korean Pancake? Or Korean Pancake-ish Vietnamese Savory Crepe?)
Bun Bo Hue (Vietnamese Hue-Style Beef Noodle Soup)
Canh Chua Ca (Vietnamese Sour Fish Soup)
Canh Chua Tom (Vietnamese Sour Shrimp Soup)
Ham, Tomato, and Sprout Sandwich
Kong Namul (Korean Seasoned Soy Bean Sprouts)
Mi Vit Tiem Chay (Vietnamese Vegetarian Duck Chinese Five-Spice "Duck" Egg Noodle Soup)
Pho Bo (Vietnamese Beef Noodle Soup)
Pho Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Noodle Soup)
Sukju Namul (Korean Seasoned Mung Bean Sprouts)

*****
1 year ago today, Inka Trails Restaurant - Claremont.
2 years ago today, my oldest uncle's wife's banh canh chay (Vietnamese vegetarian udon).

12 comments:

  1. Looking good WC!

    One reason, I think, why we cook the filling before rolling is because we can then freeze the uncooked rolled lumpia. Then when frying the frozen lumpia, everything will cook right away, otherwise the outside would burn while the raw frozen innards would take longer to cook.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looks fabulous! I like how the veggies retained their colors. They make the egg rolls look a bit different than most egg rolls.

    ReplyDelete
  3. We also have a term for the filling: "lumpiang hubad" naked eggroll. Basically it's the filling sans the wrapper :D

    ReplyDelete
  4. and i just had the vietnamese version for dinner earlier this evening!

    i love eating lumpia, but i hate making it. wait, actually i like making it. I just hate frying it. i'm so afraid of frying anything and getting my arms burned and splattered with oil.

    my mom will sometimes uses ground turkey. When she used to make the beef filling, she would sometimes put raisins in it, which my bro and sis absolutely hate.

    isn't marvin's blog great?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Marvin,
    Thanks to you, I've been explored Filipino food just a bit more. Of course, my knowledge was limited to lumpia and pancit before.

    VNese egg rolls cook pretty fast even from frozen state, but I guess they would cook faster if the insides were pre-cooked?

    ETE,
    I liked the bit of green and orange too.

    Watergirl,
    Ah, good to know. The filling made a great stir-fry.

    Canine Cologne,
    Haha. We had a bit of a switch coincidence. I hate frying too but my wok is big enough that oil doesn't splatter when I fry things in it. I actually prefer pork and turkey to ground beef for my rolls. Raisins though? Marvin's blog is awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  6. looks so delicious! i have tried this type of lumpia in Netherland, simple but tasty! however, do you know how to make the rice paper like that? to me it looks like a type of puff pastry? i love it a lot!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Been looking for a good lumpia recipe. Can't wait to try this weekend. Thanks!

    Will

    ReplyDelete
  8. Ooo darling, what a beautiful roll! You have Marvin to thank for the inspiration, but I have you to thank for inspiring me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good-lookin' lumpia! We've never attempted pritong lumpia before, because of the laziness. I can imagine sinking my teeth into these -- and with the dipping sauce, they're going to be yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Kathy,
    I just buy the packaged spring roll wrappers. No idea how they're made.

    Will,
    Hope it turns out well!

    PE,
    It's a delicious circle, isn't it?

    JS,
    Oh? What type of lumpia do you usually make then?

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can'ttttt believe i've missed this T_T

    sprouts are so widely used in indonesia sob sob sob....let me mark down lemon on my calendar....argghhhh

    lumpia, the javanese, semarang version (my home town) includes bamboo shoots and tiny ebi...it has a distinct flavor, let me try to recreate it one day...

    ReplyDelete
  12. MCR,
    Oooh, I wanna try semarang lumpia. Love bamboo shoots and shrimp would be like VNese cha gio.

    Hope you participate next month!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!