Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, September 20, 2008

How to Make Oven-Dried Tomatoes

When I saw that Vicki of A Work in Progress made slow-roasted tomatoes earlier this summer, it reminded me that I really needed to make some to tide me through the cold SoCal winters. Brrr. Sometimes it gets down to 60 degrees you know! ;)


Oven-Dried Tomatoes 1


Oven-drying tomatoes uses the same principle as how to dry herbs -- low temperatures for a few hours. Some people only halve or quarter the tomatoes, but I like mine in bite-sized pieces so I can easily add them into pastas. Plus, smaller pieces means faster drying time. I also like the tomatoes still a little moist with a bit of chew.

I made several batches. Some I simply seasoned with salt. One batch I drizzled some olive oil, and added ground black pepper and oregano, before popping the tomatoes in the oven.

Oven-Dried Tomatoes

You'll need:
As many tomatoes as you'd like
Salt, Kosher or sea

Optional: Drizzle and season with olive oil, ground black pepper, or oregano before drying the tomatoes.

As if you don't know how to cut tomatoes. So I begin by slicing them in half.


Oven-Dried Tomatoes 2


Then removing the stem part.


Oven-Dried Tomatoes 3


After slicing them into quarters, I turn them sideways and slice again.


Oven-Dried Tomatoes 4


Lay them on a rack with a pan to catch any liquid. Sprinkle on a bit of salt. Not too much because the flavors will concentrate as the tomatoes dry out and you don't want them too salty. If you want to add the olive oil, ground black pepper, or oregano, toss the tomatoes with the mixture in a bowl first.


Oven-Dried Tomatoes 5


Pop them in the oven at 200 degrees for at least an hour, possibly two hours. Check on them every half hour and remove done pieces or you'll get some burnt ones.


Oven-Dried Tomatoes 1


Eat the oven-dried tomatoes as a snack or add to pastas and salads. Store in a plastic bag in the freezer until ready to use.

Enjoy!

*****
1 year ago today, Pho Pasteur - Rosemead.

5 comments:

  1. So this is another version of sun dried tomatoes? Yumzz...looks good! Sun dried pricey here..i will try making oven dried tomatoes for my pasta next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that last sentence - as if they'll make it to the freezer! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Laughing at the comment on the freezing winters in SoCal. Gotta get those snow shovels ready!

    ReplyDelete
  4. i am intriqued! this i CAN do in my humble oven hehehe. thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. PP,
    So much sun in Malaysia, you can go make sun-dried tomatoes outside! :)

    Vicki,
    I ate all of the first batch but I made more to freeze. ;)

    SIS,
    And wool socks and flannel-lined jeans and earmuffs. Oh, don't remind me of real winters. Brrr.

    MCR,
    Of course you can!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!