Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, July 26, 2008

Free Movies: Old Pasadena Film Festival - Pasadena (Old Town)

So as I was saying, while my siblings and I were chillin' on the patio of Gordon Biersch Brewery Restaurant, they were setting up the chairs for that evening's screening.


Free Movies - Pasadena 1

Tonight's the last night, so in case you missed the Old Pasadena Film Festival, you can bookmark the information for next year.


It's not too late, they're showing the entire Lord of the Rings trilogy starting at 8:30 p.m., concluding with a free hobbit breakfast at dawn. I have other plans and don't have that kind of stamina but if any of my readers go, send me a picture of that hobbit breakfast will ya? I'm curious to see if they serve hobbit food, or whether people will be dressed as hobbits? Boggles the mind, doesn't it? You'll be my "precious" forever and ever if you do!

Anyway, after dinner, my brother and I went to see Mongol. If you're a Genghis Khan fan, I don't think you'll like it. The movie glossed over majorly important parts like how he survived after his father died and before he became a teen and married his wife, almost no bow and arrow scenes but more sword fighting instead, few horse action scenes, and a scene about him being sold into slavery to the Tangut kingdom and imprisoned for years. Say what? Exactly! OK, I know it's ancient history and all, but nowhere have I ever heard he was enslaved or imprisoned. Also, biggest omission, no explanation for how he was able to unit all Mongols and the reason for his victory in the big battle scene was ridiculous. As a film, it was alright. As a biopic of Genghis Khan, no, no, no.

For a movie with better horse action scenes, I'd recommend Nomad: The Warrior.

Anyway, when we left the movie, the courtyard looked like this. The umbrellas and lights in the far back is the Gordon Biersch patio area.


Free Movies - Pasadena 2

Everyone was captivated by Roman Holiday. It's been an Audrey Hepburn summer for free movies.


Free Movies - Pasadena 3

Other things to do may be found in Explore SoCal.

The Old Pasadena Film Festival free movies screen at various locations throughout the month of July. Check the Old Pasadena website for the summer's movies and locations.

*****
1 year ago today, the first of many squash blossom recipes - Bong Bi Nhoi Tom Chien (Vietnamese Shrimp-Stuffed Deep-fried Squash Blossoms).

5 comments:

  1. That reminds me, I have watched an Audrey Hepburn movie in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'd no idea about these free-movie events. However, an LOTR marathon is a bit much - esp if they show the extended cuts.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Alta Vista Park in Redondo Beach showed "Rebel Without A Cause" 2 weeks ago, and next week is "jezebel". Aug 8 is "Abbott and Costello Meet Frankenstein".
    Torrance has them too, but my flier does not list the movie titles. =(

    ReplyDelete
  4. that looks like a lot of fun, girl! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Pam,
    I don't think any of those people had either. What a crowd!

    Nikki,
    I stumbled upon it by accident the week before when I was in Old Town for dinner. Aren't they great?

    MaryRuth,
    I love that so many cities have this.

    MCR,
    It would have been had I stayed. :P

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!