Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Sunday, June 22, 2008

Open Mouth, Insert Citrus

When Susan of Open Mouth, Insert Fork mentioned that her trees were laden with fruit and she had invited people to do some picking, I immediately chimed in. She generously gave me her last pomelo, grapefruits, Meyer lemons, oranges, plums, and an avocado.


Open Mouth, Insert Citrus 1


Such bounty! She had a bag already filled for me when I got to her house. Then we walked around her backyard while she cut fruit from her tree and filled up another bag for me.



I was so excited to get more Meyer lemons. They were huge! Some of them were the same size as the smaller grapefruits.


Open Mouth, Insert Citrus 2


Thanks again Susan!

Hmm. What should I make with all this citrus?

Some of my citrus recipes:
Baked Chicken with Citrus Marinade
Baked Chicken with Salt, Pepper, and Lemon
Blood Orange Granita
Blood Orange Grapefruit Juice
Blood Orange Juice
Chanh Muoi (Vietnamese Salty Lemonade)
Cuban Lemon Garlic Roast Chicken
Meyer Lemon Granitas
Meyer Lemon Shortbread Bars
Orange and Fennel Salad

P.S. Random household tip. Notice in the photos I have a sponge in a metal basket attached to suction cups on the inside of my sink? I think it's actually meant to hold soap. Anyway, years ago a friend of mine did this and I liked the idea so much I copied her. Then my mom saw mine and liked it so much she copied me. You can find the holders in the bathroom section of the store.

*****
1 year ago today, I ate Rudolph and Got Myself a Firklover.

8 comments:

  1. How lovely and generous! What to make with all of that goodness? No idea (sorry, that wasn't too helpful was it). My lemons (regular Eurekas) have been huge, too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Such huge lemon..must be juicy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i want a plum.

    i put my sponge in a holder suction to my sink too.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nikki,
    I'm always amazed by the generosity of food bloggers.

    Kay,
    It was super juicy. Twice as much juice as a normal lemon.

    MomtoMel,
    Got plenty left. You can have some.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So envy! You should have taken a picture of the fruit trees. Ooo..i get excited when i see tree full of fruits.

    ReplyDelete
  6. PP,
    I would have loved to but it wasn't my house so I didn't want to intrude. Don't worry, I'll show plenty of other fruit trees from my uncles' gardens.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi, I somehow missed this post last week. It was so great to meet you in person and to be the recipient of the beautiful lemon grass, mint and sugar cane from your uncle's garden.

    I used part of the lemon grass and mint in a delicious Thai beef salad.

    Those Meyer's lemons are the juiciest. Last week I made a nice pitcher of sangria with the lemons and oranges from our back yard.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Susan,
    I'm so glad you liked the lemongrass and mint. I love Thai beef salads. The Meyer lemons are all gone now. I told you they wouldn't last long. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!