Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Thursday, June 05, 2008

How to Peel and Cut a Mango

I've been in eating heaven since Diane of White on Rice Couple gifted me with a whole box of mangoes. A mango seed is long and thin, so you'll want to slice off both fat cheeks.

How to Peel and Cut a Mango 1


Cut into the mango in a checkerboard fashion, making sure not to slice through the skin.

How to Peel and Cut a Mango 2
How to Peel and Cut a Mango 3

Then flip the mango slice so that it forms a "hedgehog." Eat by biting into each square.

How to Peel and Cut a Mango 4

What about the other two sides? Well, slice along the edge of the seed. Then slice into squares, making sure not to cut through the skin.

How to Peel and Cut a Mango 5

There you have it, nicely sliced "hedgehogs," the side squares, and a seed for someone to gnaw.

How to Peel and Cut a Mango 6

Alternatively, if you're planning on using the mango for various recipes, or just want to eat them without the peel, just start peeling like an apple.

How to Peel and Cut a Mango 7

Sometimes I like to see how far I can go before my peel breaks. I do this in looping zigzags though, and not in a big circle as I would an apple.

How to Peel and Cut a Mango 8

See? Perfectly peeled mango.

How to Peel and Cut a Mango 9

Mmm. Juicy slices of mango.

How to Peel and Cut a Mango 10

I know about the mango seeder, but is there another method of cutting mangoes? How do you cut mangoes?

My mango recipes:
Egg Rolls Stuffed with Bananas and Mangoes with Nutella Dipping Sauce  
Goi Xoai Xanh (Vietnamese Green Mango Salad)
Mango Bread
Mango Chicken
Mango Salsa
Mangoes with Sticky Rice - Vietnamese-Style

P.S. I topped 500,000+ hits today! Well, since I started keeping stats on January 25, 2007 anyway.

And because it doesn't show up in feeds or emails, for those of you who like to root around my archives, my October 2007 posts are now backdated/updated. I'm still working on November though.

*****
1 year ago today, one of my favorite and one of the blog's most popular recipes - Mango Bread!

17 comments:

  1. Wow - look how nice your mangoes are. The ataulfo mangoes we get here are never this large in size.

    The step-by-step tutorial is really helpful because cutting a mango can be deceptively difficult sometimes.

    Save them seeds for me, will ya? :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. i loooove mango mango mango! I generally cut the cheeks off, use a big fat spoon to spoon out the meat, then cut, dice, slice or whatever.

    and the seed is always considered the "cook's treat" <-- for me!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I do the peel method every time - starting from the end where the stem used to be. And congrats on your 500,000th hit :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know you all know but the OXO mango slicer is really top notch when it comes to mangoes and i get slices instead of cubes

    ReplyDelete
  5. Christine,
    You're a seed gnawer huh? Or you want to try growing an ataulfo mango tree in Michigan? :)

    Jaden,
    The spoon method loses too much of the juice for me. I can't waste any itty bit of the mango.

    Nikki,
    I start from the stem too. Wonder why?

    Blondee47,
    Yup, that's what I mentioned. Err, well, I called it a mango seeder. I wonder how it fits oddly-sized seeds though?

    ReplyDelete
  6. I thoroughly appreciate this post because I was just having difficulty cutting mangoes the other day :). I was making these popsicles and wound up with lousy chunks. Nice lesson!

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're killing me here! I'm drooling all over my laptop. :d

    ReplyDelete
  8. Peel fruit that's ridiculous! Hungry Bear thanks you for the post and hopes I use your step by step guide.

    I actually have a mango seeder. It works well when the seed is the right size, but most of the time it smashes the fruit.

    I'm with Christine and love eating the seed!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks good WC,

    I cut mine the same except for the sides. Once I cut off both 'cheeks' I just rip the outer ring of skin then proceed to cut off as much meat as I can. As for the cheeks, now I cut the cubes out instead of biting them like I used to. I'm watching out for acid wear :p

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hillary,
    Well, now you know for next time. ;)

    Tia,
    You should be able to get some in Florida!

    Chuck,
    Ha! I wasn't even thinking of you when I posted this. But now, I should have dedicated it to you. ;)

    Nicholas,
    I usually peel the whole fruit myself. Wastes less fruit and juice that way.

    ReplyDelete
  11. For the riper mangoes, i cut out the cheeks, criss cross, then just bite off the squares.
    For the more raw ones, i peel the skin off with a knife like your second photo.
    But for the really, really raw ones off the tree, I keep the skin on, slice the two cheeks off then slice the mango into thin strips to dip in chili salt. I like the flavor of the skin on these off the tree ones because they are so flavorful and crunchy.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I do the same thing as you do for the 'cheeks' then peel the skin off the center and start eating it over a sink. YUM. Green mangoes, on the other hand, get sliced up and eaten with dark soy sauce and red chilies. Haven't had those in forever, come to think of it. Mmmmm. Mangoes.

    ReplyDelete
  13. WoRC,
    Your comment about eating the skin of the raw ones made me go out and buy some so I could dip in muoi ot. :)

    alexisthetiny,
    Ah, soy sauce and chili paste. Love it with tart fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  14. From the pictures I saw, there are some white stuff on the mango seed. It happens to me too and I wonder what that is and if that's safe to eat. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  15. hkbobbyma,
    I figured it's just part of the seed that grew out into the mango? If it's small, I usually eat it. If the white part is too big, I eat around since it's not tasty. But I've never had any problems with the white part. I'm not an expert or anything though!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I'd love to pin this on Pinterest, but something wonky happens when I try!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beth,
    I dunno anything about the mechanics. You can just bookmark the site on your browser.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!