Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Bamboe Nasi Goreng (Indonesian Fried Rice) and Aik Cheong Instant CoffeeTea 3 in 1 Mix

Bamboe Nasi Goreng and Aik Cheong CoffeeTea

I had leftover chicken and rice from several restaurants outings and the thought of eating them again just wasn't very appealing. Luckily I remembered I had a packet of Bamboe Nasi Goreng (Indonesian Fried Rice) from Asian Supermarket 365. The mix sells for $1.59. The ingredients listed were simply shallots, garlic, chili, salt, tomato, and vegetable oil.

Hmm. Seems so simple. Couldn't I just do this at home?



Nonetheless, I tossed the paste with a pan full of leftover rice, chopped chicken, half a bag of frozen vegetables, and scrambled eggs. This totally hit the spot and lil' sis, the youngest '88, and cousin Q's little brother, and I polished off several rice bowls each. The mix had a ketchup-y shallot smell and taste, but in a good way. And loads better than the nasi goreng I ordered from Baccali Cafe and Rotisserie.

I know, I know. I still gotta get myself to an Indonesian restaurant.

I also decided to try the Aik Cheong CoffeeTea 3 in 1 Mix, which sells for 25 to a bag for $5.99. The ingredients were Colombian coffee, sugar, non-dairy creamer, and graded Ceylon tea. This was merely OK. The coffee flavor was stronger than the tea. And since the coffee was Colombian coffee, which equals to instant coffee crystals, that was primarily what it tasted like. I much prefer the Aik Cheong Milk Tea (Teh Tarik).

Please refer back to my Terrible Twos post to see the other items I've tried.

The folks at Asian Supermarket 365 have nicely offered a 3% discount to Wandering Chopsticks readers, just enter code "WC30708M" at checkout. Expiration date is August 31, 2008. If the discount is popular with my readers, they said they might extend the expiration date.

*****
1 year ago today, Empress Harbor Seafood Restaurant (Wedding Banquet) - Monterey Park.

4 comments:

  1. You have to try my A1 Curry Paste. They are completely sold out from my stash, but ping me in a month or so and I shall have some in the US.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bee,
    I've got a packet of AA1 curry paste, and wondered if it was a copycat of the A1 curry paste. Hehe.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes you do have to try an Indonesian restaurant soon!

    Perhaps the Saturday morning Duarte Inn BBQ?! ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Elmo,
    Ha! I knew you'd nudge me. I've got Indo Kitchen on my list. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!