Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Iceberg Lettuce, Radish, and Carrot Salad

Food blogging is great. So many foods to try. So many flavors. But really, I don't always eat like that. Sometimes, what I eat isn't really that blog-able. Or is it? I was recently reminded of how much I liked very simple salads when I stopped off at Super-A Foods. I usually try to get my fruits and vegetables at the Farmers' Market - Alhambra to support the independent farmers, but every once in a while I need to hit a chain store for something. I had forgotten how cheap Super-A produce can be. Two heads of iceberg lettuce for $1. Five bunches of radishes for $1. Carrots, I don't remember how much but they're almost always cheap.
Iceberg Lettuce, Radish, and Carrot Salad 1
So after chopping up half of a head of lettuce (25 cents), slicing 3 radishes (6 cents), and shaving slices off 1 carrot (pennies really), added a few drizzles of Hidden Valley Ranch dressing and I had enough salad for three meals. That's less than 10 cents a meal! Who can beat that for cheap eats?
Iceberg Lettuce, Radish, and Carrot Salad 2
What are your some of your favorite simple salads? If this is too bland for you, some of my other salad recipes: Cobb Salad Coleslaw Cucumber Salad Croutons with Garlic and Seasoning Fava and Garbanzo Bean Salad Four Color Carrot Salad Goi Ga (Vietnamese Chicken Salad) Goi Xoai Xanh (Vietnamese Green Mango Salad) Heirloom Tomato Salad Hibiscus Leaf and Pomegranate Mixed Greens Salad Insalata Caprese (Italian Capri Salad - Tomato, Basil, Mozzarella) Waldorf Salad ***** 1 year ago today, old-fashioned mochi (Japanese rice cakes) pounded by hand at Fugetsu-Do Sweet Shop, the oldest business in Los Angeles' Little Tokyo and possibly the inventor of the Chinese fortune cookie.

7 comments:

  1. Wow I totally understand what you meant by sometimes what I eat isn't blog-able...

    if i cook another dish of stir fried veggie with garlic...normally i skipped blogging about it...or if it is another boiled beef/chicken with tomato dish hehe

    ReplyDelete
  2. One of my favourite simple salads is a Greek salad, especially in the summer with tomatoes from the garden. Unfortunately, feta is hard to come by in VN. And I'm not willing to pay a premium for it... I also regularly had a fajita salad for dinner. For this, I'd need cheddar and salsa!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm totally with you on the sometimes wanting a super simple iceberg lettuce salad. Just like they make in the diners!

    ReplyDelete
  4. MCR,
    Haha. Yeah, too many vegetable stir-fries for me too. Especially when it's just a simple minced garlic stir-fry.

    Miss.adventure,
    That reminds me, I need to post my Greek salad recipe too. I love feta.

    Front Studio,
    Hehe, it's the side salad that no one thinks about. Who knew someone else craves that as well?

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am/was my family's salad maker.

    But my favourite simple salad is my partner's mother's garlicky bean salad - the first time I was introduced to broad beans.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Dang, 10 cents. I read this blog where it cost $1 to make fried rice. I love cheap eats! I've had some expensive meals where it didn't taste as good as the cheap ones.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oanh,
    Broad/fava beans are one of my favorites. I like eating them plain as a snack.

    Jeannie,
    $1 for fried rice? Why so expensive? ;)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!