Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Wednesday, December 05, 2007

Bok Choy Kimchee (Korean Pickled Bok Choy)

Bok Choy Kimchee
Continuing on in my series on panchan (Korean side dishes), is bok choy kimchee. I usually make this at the same time I make a batch of napa cabbage kimchee and just slather the chili paste from that onto the bok choy, but if you want to make just this, I've got my recipe below. I usually eat this fresh, so brined, but not fermented. Although you can let it ferment if you wish. Again, I'm not going off of any Korean recipes, just my own personal tastebuds of what I've eaten before. Bok Choy Kimchee (Korean Pickled Bok Choy) 1 lb bok choy, ends cut 2 tblsp Salt 2 tsp mam ruoc (Vietnamese fermented shrimp paste) 1 tblsp nuoc mam (Vietnamese fish sauce) 1 tblsp gochujang (Korean chili paste), or more if you like spicy 2 cloves garlic, minced 1-inch knob ginger, minced Clean and chop ends off of bok choy. Add 2 tblsp salt and enough water to cover. Leave to brine for at least 4 hours or overnight. The next day drain the bok choy into a colander. Mix the rest of the ingredients and then massage them thoroughly with all the bok choy leaves. You can serve this fresh as panchan. I actually like the bok choy this way because the brine has just softened them enough, but it still remains crisp. Or pack the bok choy into a jar and allow to ferment before eating. Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!