Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Saturday, December 01, 2007

8 Random Things About Me

Hedgehog of Diary of a Novice Cook and C'est la Vie tagged me for an "8 Random Things About Me" meme. Huh! Who's in charge of these memes? I mean, what's up with the similarities? I did the "5 Things Most People Don't Know About Me," and the "7 Random Things About Me," which I split into 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, and 7 posts. And then the 37/38 list. What else do ya'll really want to know?

So drop a question/comment for the 7 other random things I need to come up with and I'll decide which ones to answer. Hopefully it'll be a question that I have a photo for so this post won't be picture-less. And if no one has any questions for me, then I think I'm done with these memes. :)

OK, I've got #1. It's been about 18 months since I started this blog. It took me a while to figure out how I wanted to do things ie. how I wanted things formatted, how I write recipes, how personal I wanted to get, etc. It's still a work in progress. So when I have time, I've been going back and editing old posts. But I still have to get caught up on old posts as well as write new ones. I mean, I guess I could just forget about it and start from here, but my October and November posts were already planned out even if they haven't been written yet... And I like having a post a day even if it's just in theory for now... So if you're a truly dedicated reader, you can scroll down to October 16 and get caught up on some recent entries. Don't worry. It's a good one. :)

#2 I like wandering grocery store aisles to discover random things like red velvet cake. One slice for $1.97 at Wal-Mart. And you know what? It was very moist and even beat some of the specialty bakery red velvet cupcakes I've eaten lately.

And finding these Coke bottles in repro-1899 style.

Which brings me to #3, so I could re-purpose the bottles as vases. :)

Which sort of brings me to #4, to answer One Food Guy's question about what makes me a good neighbor. I readily share food with my neighbors, but that's because they're family. In turn, they share plenty of food with me like cherry tomatoes from my youngest uncle's garden.

And jujubes from my second-youngest uncle's garden.

And com ga Hai Nam (Hainanese chicken rice) from my youngest aunt.

And banh beo from my oldest uncle's wife.

And also banh tai vac/banh quai vac from her too. :)

#5 To answer One Food Guy's other question, nope, not gonna share anything that I wouldn't share with my parents on this blog. Sorry, my blog is not a personal diary. It's a not-quite in real time food diary. It's my attempt to share where and what I eat, and maybe a few hobbies.

#6 Dhanggit's Kitchen asked me to describe an unforgettable cooking experience. Well, this wasn't something I cooked, but the first time I had a guy cook for me. It was back in college. Just chicken wings. That he made in a pot. As I stood by his side making suggestions. But I still remember his smiles, his attempt to please me, his cooking to show he cared for me.

#7 She also asked for an unforgettable eating experience. Again I'd have to go back to college. Or rather, the first time I came home from college. After a semester of dorm food, all I wanted when I got home was plain white jasmine rice. And oh, was it heavenly!

#8 Hedgehog asked me what was the most bizarre thing I've ever eaten? Hmm. Barbecued waxworms perhaps? Tasted like barbecued potato chips. Bird spit? Very healthy! Recently, I unknowingly ate frog fallopian tubes, which didn't have a taste. And don't worry, I'll do the post at some point so you can eat such spectacular delicacies yourself. :P

And again, any 8 blogging buddies who haven't done this meme are free to do so. Just let me know so I can link you.

*****
1 year ago today, I ruminated about food, family, and etiquette.

7 comments:

  1. Ahhh finally had a chance to revisit your web site. Entertaining

    Yes, I do dishes. I'm seriously looking for a wife who can cook. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Alex,

    *Chuckle.*

    I'm not "seriously looking," but I'll bite. What else is on this list of yours? ;)

    And besides washing the dishes, what else do you do? :P

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've got a great idea, why don't you tell us the 13 things you never want your parents to know! Or the 3 things that make you the best neighbor.

    I agree, who is controlling the creation of these memes? I just made up two!

    ReplyDelete
  4. tell me your most unforgettable cooking experience or moment..it could be eating moment too..:-)

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey, i've got one question, which is also food related. What is the most bizarre thing you have ever eaten? :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. that cake was soooo good. i hope your other readers won't hate me because i'm a taste tester of your kitchen. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. One Food Guy,
    I answered, or rather I didn't answer your questions. ;)

    Dhanggit,
    Those were good questions!

    Hedgehog,
    I liked that one too! :)

    UnHip,
    They'll hate you only if you rub it in their faces?

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!