Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Tuesday, June 12, 2007

Strawberry Shortcake


Ah, I think I should post up my strawberry shortcake recipe before strawberries are no longer in season! :P

Did you know old-fashioned strawberry shortcakes should be closer to a sweetened biscuit than the pound cake or angel cake you find at the grocery stores?

Well, I tried to research a bit of strawberry shortcake lore to back up that statement and what do I come up with? Lots of info on Strawberry Shortcake the doll. Ah, yes, I used to have a Strawberry Shortcake lunch pail. I'd carry it with me every time I went on a field trip. Well, Strawberry Shortcake got a makeover in 2002 and introduced an Asian doll named Tea Blossom who had a pet panda. Umm, where were we? Back to the food version of strawberry shortcake...

Very simply, I used a basic baking powder biscuit recipe and added just a smidge more sugar. Then filled with whipped cream and strawberries.

Strawberry Shortcake

For 6 large strawberry shortcakes, you'll need:

1 pint of strawberries, hulled, washed, sliced in half
whipped cream
2 cups flour
3/4 to 1 cup cold milk
1/2 cup butter
2 tblsp sugar
1 tblsp baking powder
pinch of salt

Hull, wash, and slice strawberries in half. Sprinkle a bit of sugar over berries and put in fridge to chill.

In a mixing bowl, add 2 cups flour, 2 tblsp sugar, 1 tblsp baking powder, and a pinch of salt. Cut butter into chunks, or add butter to dry ingredients and mash them with a fork. Start with 3/4 cup cold milk and mix into dough. If it's still too dry, add in a bit more milk until all the flour is incorporated. The dough shouldn't be smooth, you just don't want excess flour.

Put the dough on a cutting board and flatten to about 1-inch thick. Then cut with a biscuit cutter or upended glass. I usually get about half a dozen 3-inch-sized biscuits from this amount.

Bake in oven at 400 degrees for about 10 to 15 minutes until golden.

Break biscuit in half and fill with whipped cream and strawberries.
Enjoy!

7 comments:

  1. your whipped cream dont look so great. i like the other ones you made, remember? the big bowl one.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hehe - "biscuit"? You mean "scone"? And that looks yum - quick, easy and sugar-laden with a hint of fruit (so you don't feel completely guilty for eating all that cream)!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Strawberry shortcake is the name of the mini figurine I used to have. yes, I remember...the hat (or to me, the huge shower cap) looks exactly like this strawberry shortcake. LOL;p

    ReplyDelete
  4. i've never had this before. looks yummy though. Does it taste similar to scone with cream and strawberry jam? (stupid question i know, I'm contemplating making it if it's different you see:D)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Mel's Mom,
    Big bowl? You mean the strawberry brownie trifle?

    W&S,
    Nope, I mean biscuit! The Brits and Aussies have it all wrong. ;)

    Tigerfish,
    Ha! I didn't realize my strawberry shortcake looks like the shower cap. :)

    Hedgehog,
    Well, it's kinda the same and kinda different? American biscuits are similar to scones, but scones are denser. We eat scones too! And whipped cream is similar to clotted cream. And this is fresh strawberries, not jam. So sort of the same, sort of different. :P

    ReplyDelete
  6. no, not that one. just strawberries, cream, and some kinda cake bread in a big bowl. one of the parties, but held at helens mom house.

    ReplyDelete
  7. MM,
    Ah, that was poundcake. And it was my lazy, but not old-fashioned version. It did disappear though! But all the food at our parties often do.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!