Home | Directory | Contact | FAQ | Recipes | Restaurants | Vietnamese Recipes | 100 Vietnamese Foods | Subscribe

Friday, January 05, 2007

Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine - Newport Beach

While I'm on the subject of disappointed expectations... I've had these photos from a dinner at Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine sitting around from last summer. I've heard mixed reviews about Roy's so I wasn't sure what to expect. But the occasion was my lil' sis's birthday so my brother wanted to take her somewhere nice. Roy's gets top marks for decor and service. Warm lighting, intimate atmosphere without being too dark. Water glasses were constantly refilled. But the food? Not worth the price for me. If I'm gonna spend money on food, I want it to be worth my while. We started off with a $17 crunchy California roll with sirloin. The sirloin was so thin the flavor was overshadowed by the crab and rice.
Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine - Newport Beach 1
We all opted for the prix fixe menu. For $33 you get an appetizer sampler, choice of meat or fish, and dessert. Oops, I bit the shrimp before I remembered to take a photo. It was just basic grilled shrimp with a dollop of wasabi cocktail sauce. Was the wasabi mention supposed to make it special? Because it just tasted like basic cocktail sauce to me. The rib was OK. But the dumpling. The dumpling hinted at what the entrees would taste like. Salty!
Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine - Newport Beach 2
My mahi mahi was dry and salty. The lobster sauce on it was heavy and salty. The vegetables were limp.
Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine - Newport Beach 3
Lil' sis's salmon was dry and salty.
Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine - Newport Beach 4
My brother's short ribs were tender, but salty.
Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine - Newport Beach 5
For all the rave reviews that Roy's often gets, I was expecting much more than salty, salty, salty. No wonder the waiter was so good about refilling our water glasses! Dessert helped redeem the experience. My caramel almond macadamia nut tart was wonderfully nutty.
Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine - Newport Beach 6
And the molten chocolate souffle was scrumptious. So perfect with the ice cream.
Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine - Newport Beach 7
Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine - Newport Beach 8
Since it was little sis's birthday she also got a free really tiny pineapple cake.
Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine - Newport Beach 9
Will I be back? Only if they take the salt shaker away from the chef. Roy's Hawaiian Fusion Cuisine (Various locations) 453 Newport Center Dr. Newport Beach, CA 92660 949-640-7697 Sunday to Thursday 5 p.m. to 10 p.m. Friday and Saturday 5 p.m. to 11 p.m. Aloha Hour: Sunday to Friday 4:30 p.m. to 6:30 p.m.

4 comments:

  1. (o.O) Sooo many bowls of pho that money would buy.. So sad...

    - Chubbypanda

    ReplyDelete
  2. CP,
    I know! Sniffle. At least the desserts didn't have salt all over them. Heh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a very similar experience with Roy's up here in SF. Way too much salt. I don't think it is only a Newport Beach thing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. PE,
    Sounds awful, but it's good to know that it's just bad all around then. I'm told Roy's is better in Hawaii than on the Mainland. But seriously, for a restaurant that's supposed to be so upscale, I expected much better.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for stopping by. I try to respond in a timely manner, but am not always able to do so. If you're awaiting a response, check the post in which the comment is made or click the "Notify me" option.

If you're not a blogger and you'd like to leave a comment, you can do so using your Google/Gmail account.

I welcome questions, discussions, and feedback, but please be mindful that this is my home online. I reserve the right to delete any comment that is anonymous or unknown, rude, promotional, or has a link.

Thank you for reading!